THE DISCIPLESHIP OF CHRIST
11 months ago Evangelical Ministry 0
YOU ARE CALLED TO BE A DISCIPLE OF CHRIST
(Text: Luke 9: 61 – 62)
A disciple of Jesus is a follower of Christ. A disciple is one who must, first, be born again. Who what he used to be must die, so that the life of Christ will be resurrected in him.
You are not called to be a singer, preacher, leader, rather, you are called to be a disciple. However, a disciple can sing, preach or lead. Thus, the primary focus of the call must not be missed; “to be a disciple.”
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE BORN AGAIN
“What is born of flesh is flesh, but what is born of the spirit is spirit.”
The human nature cannot submit to the law of God. It cannot please God (Rom 8:7-8). This nature is therefore not fit to be a disciple.
CONDITION FOR BEING A DISCIPLE
1. Self Denial – that Is, allowing the will of God to always prevail in everything you do.
2. Take up your cross and follow Christ daily – this, then, is you accepting every challenges that cross your path haven accepted to follow the footsteps of Christ.
Hold on to this Facts
Even if all the principles of discipleship is applied to a sinner, he can never become a disciple unless he is born again.
Willfully taking up the yoke of Jesus, helps you to be focused and aligned with Jesus such that you walk, live and act like Jesus. Thus, becoming like Jesus.
A disciple is a man of one focus under one master
A disciple is one that has died to the flesh and lives a life of the Spirit (Cf. 1 John 3:5-10; John 1:13)
You cannot be a disciple by combining the flesh and obedience to God (Cf. Mtt 6:21-24)
The nature of God is not one that is unstable. An unstable man who lacks the nature of God cannot be a disciple (Cf. Lk 1:7-4).
The fruits you bear is a product of the life you carry; the flesh or the Spirit (Cf. Gal 5:19-22).
Qualities of a Disciple
1. He is first a born again, a believer.
2. There must be readiness to yield voluntarily to the Master.
3. He has single focus (Jesus)
4. He is not choosy, he has no other choice than to follow Jesus
5. He loves the Master above everything.
6. He consciously practices self denial.
Why should I be a disciple of Jesus Christ?
1. It is the desire of God for my life.
2. To conform to the image of our Lord Jesus Christ.
3. To develop close, intimate and deep relationship with the Master.
4. To get tied up to the Master’s use.
Living out the life of a disciple does not come by human effort or struggles. It flows naturally from the life you carry.
Finally, a disciple loves his master, he is commited to him and is zealous for Him.
The summary of the life of a disciple is becoming like Jesus.
Questions & Answers
Steps to kill the flesh:
To kill the flesh is a task beyond the human ability. Hence Jesus did that by His death. It then behooves on us to decide to follow him daily in recognition of the fact that we have died to the flesh. It is a function of faith. We must recognise that we have died. It is that knowledge that makes the difference (Cf. Colosians 3:1-3).